Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 6 - Missed the Cut


I've poked around this site twice before and I could never figure out just what purpose this old timber batten shed would have had. It's got an old rusted winch bolted to the floor, with the wire braid cable still attached to a pulley up on the roof and a wide steel post attached to the end of it. If that was all there was in there I would have assumed that it was a workshop of some kind but it also has an old timber cattle shoot leading in thru the back, as well with what looks like what would have been a holding pen. The only thing I'd say it's held in the last 30 years would be that huge camphor laurel tree which is slowly taking over the building. After researching my new friend Carl, I now know what it was used for.....

This will teach me for knocking off work early.. I got there about an hour earlier than i should have and while the sun was still quite harsh, which shows in the way that I processed. I'm not overly impressed with today's efforts at all, but least I've got another 24 photos to make an improvement.

15 comments:

eury said...

was it to hang up cattle to let them bleed out? :-P

Feather Meredith said...

I don't want to know what that place was used for. Its a beautiful photo though. You truly have a gift.

Buff said...

I'm thinking about the same as Eury. Ewwwww. Maybe the starkness of the photo is fitting, now that you know the building's purpose?

Anonymous said...

It looks to have lasted well, especially the timber battens. Your post processing suits.

essjaynz

kimbomac said...

I think the blown out sky works well for teh B&W treatment, but agree that the shadowing under the eaves is probably a bit more than you'd want. Looking forward to seeing a redo, if that's what you are intending for today.

Morp's Ramble said...

Almost looks pen & ink on the thumbnail. Very stark

Morp's Ramble said...

Almost looks pen & ink on the thumbnail. Very stark

Duckinabunker said...

Beautiful photo. The B&W really makes the shot.

Anonymous said...

Nice selection for black and white, shows off the building
MadamMtnLion

Anonymous said...

The pure black and white of this works so well, nice job.

cl_UK

Andromeda5000 said...

This shot works really well in black and white.

Whalelight said...

This looks like an etching! Your shots always impress me!

familie van der Linden said...

What a very nice picture.
I like the atmosfere it has.
Great choice to make it B&W

egonlinden

purplefrog said...

Works nicely in black and white, and it certainly makes you wonder...

secretatlantis said...

Perhaps the light is not soft and romantic but it might fit the use of the builiding.